1.3.1. Exercise 1
Without looking in a database, draw the structural formulas of at least ten isomers with the molecular formula: C3H6O. Don’t include isotopes or radicals.
1.3.2. Exercise 2
Expand the following contracted label to form the full 2D structural formula:
- In which direction did you read the contracted label?
- How does the full structural formula appear if the label is read the other way?
- Which direction is the IUPAC convention?
- Re-write the contracted label to clarify the intended meaning.
- What is the useful lesson here?
1.3.3. Exercise 3
Resolve each of the following the systematic names listed for Vitamin C into structural formulae using each of the systems below. Is the expected stereochemistry represented?
- openmolecules: http://www.openmolecules.org/name2structure
- OPSIN: http://opsin.ch.cam.ac.uk/
- CACTUS: http://cactus.nci.nih.gov/chemical/structure
- ChemSpider: http://www.chemspider.com/
- PubChem: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/